Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Great Escape

This past weekend was the Artful Women's Second Annual "Great Escape" Retreat at Sandbridge in Virginia.  Nine very creative women spending a couple of days at the beach for relaxation and renewal. 
We had a beautiful initiation to our creative spirits, lead by Donna Iona Drozda, a fun evening with "round-robin" ATCs, and a day of jewelry making with Allie-Blue Everett. 




We each brought a special token piece for an altar and my addition was an ink drawing that at one time belonged to my grandmother.  It is entitled "Winter Sunset in West Virginia Mountain" and dated 12/18/43. 



 I remember as a child admiring this drawing and thinking about who might have lived by the stream in this neat house with the logs stacked in front, ready for the warmth of an evening fire.  I was born in West Virginia and now that the drawing is mine, it reminds me of my childhood days in the mountains and of my grandmother.  She is really the reason that I am an artist.  Her encouragement and praise gave me the courage and inspiration I needed to pursue my passion.  She was a short lady, not much over five feet, rather round with large breasts and snow white hair.  She was a great cook and proficient semstress.  When you say the word "grandmother", she is the picture that comes to mind.  I didn't live with her, but I spent many wonderful hours at her house. 
So, it was a wonderful weekend to remember, reflect and rejuvenate.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love that you are reading my blog. Please leave me a message.