Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Birth

Last week, my first grandchild was born....a little boy, so sweet and so small.  I think about him all the time and every time I close my eyes, I see his little face.  It was love at first sight!
I follow Donna Iona Drozda's blog, Following the Moon, and in her last post she wrote about celebrating the arrival of a new natural year and about renewal and the birth of new things.  I can not think of any better way to celebrate a new year than with the birth of a child and I find it a perfect way to reflect upon the experience of rebirth and renewal.  To associate that with my ART/LIFE, I purchased a Visual Journal sketchbook and plan to use it to capture images of  the new grandson, Owen, as he grows.  I will photograph or sketch him each month for at least the next two years creating a visual journal of his early life to be given to him on his second birthday (or maybe I will continue it longer?).  The first of such images is pictured here as the first installment in the series.  It was created from a photograph taken shortly after his birth.  Charcoal was used for the preliminary sketch, then collage materials and finally acrylic paint.  I will post others as they are completed. 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your first grandchild to draw or photo him at intervals during the first year (or years) of his life. Being a grandparent is such a special thing to be. You can love him so purely without feeling any of the pressures of raising him yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy. I am so fortunate that they live close and I will be able to watch him grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kay, this is going to be a magical project and what an exceptional way to honor Owen's entrance into the world...he's a very lucky little guy.
    This first image is beautiful and so sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe that it's almost time for the second page.....the two month mark!

    ReplyDelete

I love that you are reading my blog. Please leave me a message.